About Wykeham Mature Plants
Wykeham Mature Plants is part of Dawnay Estate. It was set up in 1975 by the late Lord Downe and has grown to become one of the North’s leading commercial nurseries supplying mature trees, hedges and shrubs to local authorities, landscape contractors, garden designers and private homes.
Grown in North Yorkshire across 150 acres, our plants are grown steadily over a long period to give our customers the highest quality, hardy mature plants.
Set up originally as ‘Wykeham Trees’ by the late Lord Downe in 1975, with the intention of being the north of England's leading large tree grower. Supplying the government primarily, sales rapidly expanded by the mid-eighties and trees started to be supplied to other nurseries across the UK, landscape contractors and local private customers.
Over time sales moved more to the commercial sector and the business started supplying container grown trees to allow for all year planting. The nineties saw the increase in larger trees (semi-mature) and more diversification in stock - pines and the trialing of our instant shrubs and hedging.
Extreme weather conditions in the early millennium, resulted in the decision to specialise in containerised plants. In April 2003, ‘Wykeham Mature Plants’ was launched as a direct sales nursery supplying all market sectors with a complete range of mature trees, shrubs and hedging.
The Walled Garden
The Walled Garden, surrounded by Grade II listed walls, provides a beautiful setting for our main sales area. Set in the Vale of Pickering, we are located on the Dawnay Estate at Wykeham, near Scarborough and have over 150 acres of field grown tree and shrub stocks and container units available for sale.
The offices of Wykeham Mature Plants operate from the converted Bothy within the Walled Garden of Wykeham Abbey. This beautifully converted character building, dating back to the 18th century and backed by the restored Victorian vinehouse, is perfectly situated within the approximately six acres of the nursery open to the public. Customers are welcome to browse during during opening hours. However, if you require one-to-one attention and advice from our knowledgeable and experienced sales staff, we recommend booking an appointment in advance.
To support the quality stock production, Wykeham Mature Plants provides a number of other services:
- Advisory and/or design service - site visits available.
- Planting services from Wykeham Mature Plants stock.
- Tree moving, subject to inspection. If you wish to move trees on your site rather than felling and replacing them, please contact us regarding the feasibility of this. Details that we will need will include: location, access, size (e.g. please give size measurement of circumference of stem at 1m above soil level) and age of the tree(s) and number of years in situ, species, etc.
- Contract growing for future projects, dates and special events. With over 100 acres of nursery field and container nursery, our contract growing service is the ideal way to meet your needs for exactly the right quantity and quality of trees and shrubs, precisely when you want them. Contract growing for planting schemes of all sizes and time-spans is available on request.
- Rental for weddings, special events and corporate functions.
- Gift service.
- Events, guided tours and talks We periodically host special events, usually for charity, here in The Walled Garden. If you wish to enquire about the possibility of booking a tour of the nursery, or of booking one of our staff to give a talk to your group (e.g. students, gardening clubs, etc) either here on the nursery or to travel to your venue, please contact us.